Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

Backstory: I was wildly successful at a full time retail commission sales job. I made a switch when one of my clients asked me to work for his Energy Conservation startup. He falsely marketed the job to me--sold me on an internal sales position and I'm currently doing everything but sales. At the time it seemed like a good idea because I was willing to do anything to get out of my toxic retail job.

The company does not have an internal sales team, he is spending more in lawyer fees than the residual monthly income (witholds commissions from contracted brokers...they sue him), and I cannot see it going anywhere despite his strong-willed forward thinking enthusiasm. Note: there are VC investors who see a lot of potential in the company...I don't get it. I've been in the position for four months--almost fired twice (my boss realized I wasn't closing sales even though my workload was geared toward everything BUT sales)--saw two employees (bosses he had me train, to be my boss...) come and go because he is impossible to work for. Think Donald Trump temperament with complete inability to reason with people.

Here's the catch. He's given me some serious raises in the course of 4 months. I'm currently at $55k/annually...24 years old...with a college degree. But actually no clue wtf the future of this job has in store for me. It could be super successful by some act of God and I'm in a great position to reap the benefits if this does happen. It might happen in a year...it might happen in five...it's hard to tell. At this point I'm bound by the salary.

I have the opportunity to jump ship and work as an SDR for a fast growing tech company. I'd be starting from the bottom with a lot of college grads willing to take a $40k/year salary because it's their first real job and they're enthusiastic as hell to climb the ladder of tech sales.

My boyfriend just moved in with me...brought rent from $1650 to $1100. I am less worried about not affording living expenses and more worried about my future. I can make the lifestyle adjustments...I think. I've gone from $70k/year in retail sales, $55k/year in a startup setting with zero direction and utter chaos solely because of the owner, to considering $40k/year just to start from scratch in an industry that could offer some serious longevity.

The tech position has a lot of upward career trajectory...but this pay cut is hard to wrap my mind around (Approx. $15k!!!) . I do not have kids or a mortgage...part of me thinks this is the only chance I'll get to start fresh in a fantastic industry. The other part thinks I'm throwing away the (confusing) hard work I've put in and settling for a common entry level position with little leverage to negotiate. I probably won't see the money I'm making now for a few years.

Please advise!!!



Submitted February 28, 2017 at 09:42AM by I_make_gr8_soup http://ift.tt/2lSyUvi

Click to comment