Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

Hey everyone! Looking for some feedback on my investment strategy for my Roth IRA. I’m starting from scratch with $0 and have a 22-year time horizon ahead of me. Here’s the allocation I’m considering:

  • **VOO (Vanguard S&P 500 ETF) - 60.00%**

  • **IJR (iShares Core S&P Small-Cap ETF) - 15.00%**

  • **IJH (iShares Core S&P Mid-Cap ETF) - 5.00%**

  • **VTV (Vanguard Value ETF) - 20.00%**

### **My Thinking Behind This Allocation:*\*

  1. **VOO - 60%**: This forms the core of my portfolio, providing broad exposure to the S&P 500. I’m looking for long-term growth with established, large-cap U.S. companies across various sectors. The S&P 500’s historical performance is strong, and I like the idea of having this as my main holding because of its stability and proven track record.

  2. **IJR - 15%**: I’m including small-cap stocks to capture higher growth potential. I know they can be more volatile, but I’m willing to ride that out given my long time horizon. I’m hoping this segment will add some aggressive growth to my portfolio.

  3. **IJH - 5%**: Mid-cap stocks offer a good balance between stability and growth potential. They’re typically more established than small caps but still have significant room to expand. I’m allocating a smaller percentage here to capture that middle ground between large and small-cap stocks.

  4. **VTV - 20%**: I’m adding a value tilt with VTV to include more defensive, dividend-paying stocks that are often undervalued. My goal is to have a bit of a safety net with this allocation, especially during market downturns when value stocks typically hold up better than growth stocks.

**Why This Portfolio?**

  • **Diversification Across Market Caps**: By including large, mid, and small caps, I’m aiming to capture a wide range of growth opportunities across different company sizes. I like the idea of spreading my risk and not putting all my eggs in the large-cap basket.

  • **Value Component for Stability**: The value focus with VTV should help provide some cushion during downturns, especially since value stocks tend to outperform growth stocks during recessions. I also appreciate the dividend income that value stocks can provide, adding another layer to my returns.

  • **Long-Term Growth Potential**: I believe this portfolio balances growth and stability well, which feels right for my 22-year investment horizon. My goal is to maximize my Roth IRA’s growth potential over time while managing risk.

**Questions for the Community:**

  • **Am I missing anything important here?** I’m wondering if there’s something I should be adding or adjusting to make this even stronger.

  • **Thoughts on the allocation percentages?** Are these weights balanced well, or would you adjust them? For instance, should I tweak the value allocation or add more to mid or small caps

  • **International Exposure?** I’ve heard mixed advice about adding international stocks. I’m currently 100% U.S.-focused. Is that okay for a Roth IRA, or should I be looking to diversify more globally?

  • **Overall Risk Level?** Do you think this is a suitable risk level for someone starting from $0 with a 22-year horizon, or should I be more aggressive/conservative?

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!



Submitted September 18, 2024 at 12:35AM by ZooKeeperCzar https://ift.tt/Jt3AzG1

Click to comment