Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

Just as the title says. My dad died in 2018. He had a severe form of dementia and my dysfunctional family members kept me away from him until just before he died. We had the closest relationship until he got sick. So, I assumed my family was keeping me away from while in his illness so they could receive any money he had. I expected nothing from his death, financially speaking. I was just happy to have time to say goodbye to him when he was dying. I expected NO money.

Six years later, I received a check in the mail for what was left AFTER the County got done with probate (he died with no will -- a long story in which my most crooked brother tried to write a trust for him which was never approved). As the money was split five ways (the four kids plus the County's share and some lawyer's fees) the amount I received was just under 100K.

I live in California. Can anyone tell me if they believe I need to pay taxes on this check? I also wonder if this will affect my health insurance (as I pay based on income).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!



Submitted September 10, 2024 at 03:08AM by holly_carruthers https://ift.tt/724E0tV

Click to comment