Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

I just moved all the allocations in my 401k to 10/25/65 Total international equity/Large Cap Value/Fixed Income Bond. I wanted the equities to be non-tech stocks as I think they're horribly over inflated - their PE ratios are scary as snot.

Reallocating to mostly bonds just feels WRONG - like I'm leaving a ton of money on the table. However we have 'enough' now and the main danger is losing it and destroying my (somewhat early) retirement plans.

I'm 57 and we're 3 years out from retirement when I hit 61. As I type almost everything is in a $680k 401k and about 10 grand is in a "slush fund" savings account. We'll be living on our investments until I claim social security @ 63. We're buffered a LOT by my military retirement & VA of $4300/month that I currently receive, and the $1100 my wife gets from Social Security Disability.
I'll be converting all the assets to a Roth after retirement spread out over several years to keep it under the 12/15% tax bracket to keep taxes from eating us alive in our 70s.

After I claim SS @ 63 the mil/VA/wifeSS/mySS will cover all our essentials and a decent bit left over and my risk tolerance will to back up we'll be able to ride out market downturns okay, its the years between now and 63 is where we're most vulnerable.

Up until now my investments have been VERY aggressive because I only started saving in any serious amounts when I hit 45yo and I had to catch up. Its been a bumpy ride but its paid off quite well.

Its uncomfortable to be dropping this kind of information online but I can't see the harm, feels like I'm bragging or something though.

I don't really have anybody to talk to about these kind of things without sounding like I'm boasting so here I am on Reddit asking complete strangers for their opinions on an intensely personal subject. I've spent a huge amount of time on New Retirement/Brodin modeling out all the scenarios and intellectually I think the plan is is the 'smart' thing to do but sometimes you just need to bounce ideas off of other people.



Submitted October 13, 2024 at 01:07AM by Maastr https://ift.tt/pAjeFfo

Click to comment