Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

Hey Reddit,

I’m moved to rural Alaska to be closer to family, specifically my dad and stepmom. While I love being near them and have made some amazing friends here, I’m really struggling financially, and I’m feeling pretty lost on how to get back on track.

Here’s the situation: I bought a house (my dad helped finance it), and I also own an Airbnb. However, I’ve been falling behind on bills every month. I’ve already liquidated my retirement and savings accounts and now have over $10k in credit card debt. The Airbnb pays for itself, and my house is paid off, but I still pay my dad $667 a month for what he helped finance.

I work 40 hours a week at a job that pays $17/hour, but I don’t have healthcare. I’m also an on-call firefighter. My wife and I live in an off-grid house, and because she doesn’t have a license, she can’t handle the upkeep when I’m away. This makes taking a job on the North Slope impossible, even though I know that’s where the higher-paying jobs are.

On top of all that, my buddy and I are trying to start a business (a mobile mechanics service), and while it’s starting to gain some traction, it’s a slow process.

I love where I live and being close to my family, but I’m constantly feeling like I’m drowning financially. I’m just not sure what steps to take to catch up and get out of this hole. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.



Submitted September 27, 2024 at 12:40AM by Throwaway_Losswords https://ift.tt/oAK9jVO

Click to comment