Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

I think I read that hint here on /r/frugal. What an awesome veggie saver! For example, I bought a head of cauliflower and put a paper towel in the plastic bag with it to absorb moisture. Each time I used some of the cauliflower I checked the paper towel, and if it was over-damp I trashed it and put in a new one. One MONTH later I finally finished up the head - there were hardly any little black spots to cut out. Same with some cucumbers and yellow squash and celery and carrots and...everything lasts much longer with a paper towel nearby to absorb the water. I'm a gardener and sometimes there are just too many eggplant to eat in a week. This hint saved them for me. So much less guilt!

Note that I live in a place where it's too hot to leave any veggies on the counter except tomatoes.

I've cut down on paper towels A LOT in the past few years, mostly by using thin cloths instead. We've only used one roll since we started isolating in early March, and that includes what I've put in with the veggies over that time. I've even put some of the damp paper towels out in my compost heap to decompose, and so I refuse to feel bad about "wasting paper" when I think about how many veggies I used to have to throw out.

Thank you again, whoever you are!



July 26, 2020 at 11:46PM

Click to comment