Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

I have a checking account I opened a few days ago with a bank that needed to verify my identity. I've been able to make my first deposit to this account with no issues, but suddenly the account has been locked since the deposit cleared, and they need me to verify my account in-person. The bank has a few branches close to my new employer, so figured it would make sense to open a checking account with them.

I am now currently quarantined with my elderly parents 6+ hours away from the closest branch, and the bank is not open on weekends. They are saying that the only possible way I can unlock the account is in-person at a branch since I originally opened the account online. I won't be traveling anytime soon due to the pandemic, but I need access to funds ASAP. Are they legally allowed to keep my account locked? It doesn't seem to make sense to me that they allowed me to open account, fund it, and then now when I want access to the funds, they suddenly are requiring identity verification in-person. Spoke with corporate customer service who more-or-less laughed about my situation and were not helpful at all.

I can't leave my parents to drive 12+ hours round trip, just to show a teller my driver's license so that I can unlock my account. Is there any legal action I can take to have them unlock my account? Every other bank I have used has the ability to send a faxed proof of ID, license, passport, SS card, utility bills, etc, --but this bank is saying that none of these documents are considered valid unless they are presented in person. Never heard of this before especially since I can provide almost 10 different forms confirming my identity...feel stupid for trying to plan ahead and open this account during a pandemic, but have to prioritize my parents' health and can't risk leaving them and traveling for a whole day to unlock the account. Is there any legal actions I can take to get them to release my money, or has anyone had something like this happen to them?



Submitted July 30, 2020 at 03:15PM by bs6991 https://ift.tt/3fdK1cq

Click to comment