Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

Hey everyone, so I currently work for a small (less than 150 employees) Managed Service Provider. I currently make $45,000 per year as salary and receive the following benefits:

  • $45,000 a year as salary. There have been times where I have worked more than 45 hours a week.

    • My general shift is 45 hours per week.
    • I have received promotions and they are very flexible with changing positions internally and getting promoted.
    • They are very stingy with money and put alot of emphasis on self improvement through certificates in order to get promoted.
  • Health benefits

    • With me and my girlfriend on the HSA plan I spend $300~/paycheck for essentially just a HSA plan.
    • Vision and Dental
    • Free dental visits with one of our clients
  • PTO

    • I receive 128 hours of PTO per year.
    • This increases as a "tenure bonus" after 5 years.
    • You cannot cash this out but does roll over to a specific amount per year.
  • 401k

    • They have a 4% match and over 2 years with just the 4% match I have 5k put away but most of this is vested and I haven't checked how much will actually come with me if I were to leave.
    • The 401k plan is mobile with me so I will retain the plan, however, some of the vested earnings will stay with my employer.
    • The company has really good returns on the money actually in the account. I don't have specific numbers but I haven't put anywhere close to 5k away.
  • Reason for leaving

    • So I started on help desk and was promoted to tier 2. Tier 2 was too stressful so I started working afterhours for one of our larger clients and that's where I currently am.
    • I'm tired of taking calls about dumb issues and I'm just really tired of troubleshooting issues that don't really matter.
    • The users are inordinately stupid and are very, very frustrating to work with since they don't know anything about computers and think they can do my job better.
  • Reason for Staying

    • I've been with them for 3 years and outside of being told, to my face, I was not worth more than $45k/year, it's been pretty nice.
    • They have alot of small "benefits" that are not necessarily monetary, but don't add up to $10k more a year.
    • I have some friends here but other than work we don't hang out.

I recently got head hunted and was offered a position in Identity Access Management for $27/hour with Humana, with the following benefits:

  • $27 per hour as pay

    • I have been informed I would have the ability to work extra hours for overtime.
    • I will be working 45 hours a week as my base schedule.
    • I would be on a team of more than 10 people, whereas there are alot of time where I'm by myself now.
  • Health Benefits

    • HSA Plan with 1500 for in network deductible and 3000 for out of network.
    • Vision and Dental are also able to be added.
    • $360~ per paycheck for health insurance with me and my girlfriend on it, if they include domestic partnerships. (I live with my girlfriend and I am male)
  • PTO

    • So this kind of sucks, but I would get 1 day allowed per 400 hours I work.
    • This is only while I'm a contractor, IF I were to get hired on full-time I would get an immediate 23 days of PTO.
    • I can request time off, but I would get less money since I'm hourly.
  • 401k

    • They do have a 401k match but I have not seen specifics on it so I'm not sure if it's better than 4%.
  • Reason for accepting the offer

    • It's almost 10k more than I make currently and I think would be alot less stressful than what I currently do.
    • No calls, strictly email and I wouldn't have to work in person with anyone during a pandemic.
    • Working from home until September.
  • Reason for not accepting the offer

    • I would be leaving a company that has been more or less very good to me these past 3 years.
    • I would be leaving a very stable position for contract work but they have "fought" for me during this interview process (5 interviews) and the original offer was $24/hour and when I declined, saying I was going to stay with my current employer, they counter-offered with $27/hour.
    • It's downtown and I would have to pay for parking, and downtown Louisville is kind of scary.

So there's all the information I really have about both jobs. If I stay with my current employer, I'll give up $10k a year for a cushy job setting up computers for my day job; but I'll have to work in person, in a medical scenario, during a pandemic. If I leave, I'll be on contract work during a pandemic with a 6-month rehire window for my current employer. I do not have savings to last 6 months but I do work 2 jobs right now, and I would be able to get another job to pay bills but not have time to live.

Really I'm just looking for advice. I feel like I would feel really stupid for leaving that money on the table but I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake by leaving.



Submitted July 14, 2020 at 07:03PM by danderskoff https://ift.tt/3j29l8c

Click to comment