Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

I was looking at my fidelity 401k account and I noticed that my UTMA account balance had gone from ~$10k to zero. I looked at the transfer history and it seems that the UTMA balance was transfered to my Dad's bank account. My dad is still listed as the custodian for the account, but I do not understand how he can do this as I am now no longer a minor (25). I thought UTMA accounts drawbacks were that they were under the sole discretion of the beneficiary once they turn 18/24.

I am worried because I also have a UGMA account with him as the cosigner under my Vanguard account that has substantially more money. I got the paperwork from Vanguard to remove him as custodian, but it looks like it still requires my dad's voluntary consent to remove himself as custodian.

I then started looking around my other shared accounts with him, and he has set up an automatic balance transfer of $50/month from my checking account to his checking account. I tried to cancel this with my bank, but they said that only he can cancel it. I also requested the paperwork to remove him from the bank account as an account holder, but that also requires his voluntary consent (signature).

I am concerned about alerting these to his attention; I think he thinks I do not look at my bank accounts. Is there anything I can do? I also was hoping to get some tax advice on what cost basis I should use for the UGMA account assuming I can transfer it over to my brokerage account.

Thanks in advance!



Submitted February 27, 2017 at 03:50PM by PersonalFinancetrash http://ift.tt/2mDS9aX

Click to comment