Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

This sub doesn't talk about food enough and I think that is a bad thing. So this post is kinda for those struggling on food. GF, two kids and I just lost our food stamps because I'm making too much money, but it hasn't been that bad. I would like to give general advice on grocery shopping and sell dates before I present a recipe.

1.) It's fine to shop at multiple places. Some places sell meat at a discount and make money on dry goods, or vice versa. I shop at 3 different places. Ferraro's Market (New Haven, CT - throw it up) for all my meats and sometimes veggies. Shop Rite for dried and canned. Family Dollar for my lunched (kippered fish, ritz crackers).

  1. Sell by dates are just usually when the manufacturer says to sell. This applies mainly to frozen meats, if it has been frozen the entire time, then another month or two isn't going to ruin in. Just don't thaw and refreeze.

  2. Chicken. Chicken is dirt cheap. Eating healthy boneless skinless is ideal, but expensive. This market I frequent will sell these half bone in chicken breast with skin for ~40-50 cents a pound. Each package has 3 half breasts for ~$2. I can skin those, separate the breast from bone and remove skin on each one in about 15 seconds. I wrap em up and I'm good to go.

Shop around and look for deals. I just got 7 red peppers for $2.74. Good sized peppers too.

Don't be afraid to go to stores in the "ghetto" or go to markets that cater to a minority - they usually have the best deals on certain things. Pork shoulder at $.79/lb is a steal and a pernil will feed you for a week.

Recipe time http://ift.tt/2m4M0IA

Sauce 1/2 cup water 3 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp rice vinegar 1 tbsp brown sugar 1.5 tbsp black pepper 1.5 tbsp corn starch 3 garlic cloves minced

Veggies 2 red peppers, 1/2 large onion, 1 head brocc, 2 carrots

Meat 1 boneless skinless chicken breast

Serve over rice.

Total cost for me ~$3 and will feed my wife, daughter and myself.



February 27, 2017 at 07:17PM

Click to comment