Type something and hit enter

ads here
On
advertise here

RPi Zero Wireless is out, I figured this would be a perfect project for it and I've been wanting a helmet cam for a while but damn they are expensive and bulky. I want to make one that integrates into the helmet, with a small low profile camera on the chin, the RPi in the chin bar/near the jaw/on the edge of the viewport, and the battery maybe mounted to the bottom edge of the helmet (Or I might dig out some foam in a less impact likely spot). Recording controlled by my phone via Bluetooth. I already ordered the RPi + some adapters, should be here in a week or two. I come to you asking for a couple things:Part 1. What parts am I going to need?I know it's at least going to be:MicroSD (+adapter)Camera + cableBattery + cable (lipstick tube style smartphone external battery pack?)Some sort of mounting equipment/housing (was planning on cutting some plexiglass with a dremel for this, I'm also good with woodworking)Anything I'm missing? And do you have any recommendations for these parts? I was thinking about an on/off switch but I could just use the act of plugging/unplugging the battery cable for this, no?Part two: Software.I'm pretty sure I'm just going to use Raspbian with some program that runs on startup. If this program already exists for RPi(just automatically starts recording 1080p video) I'd like to know about it. Otherwise I'd be rolling my own from Python most likely. Then write an Android app that connects via Bluetooth that just has a button to tell the RPi to start recording + maybe it can tell it to delete old footage so I don't have to take the card out and put it in my computer to do that (I do have a good amount of experience with Python, Android dev, and I've messed around with a RPi B+ as a web server in the past).Other pertinent information: I live in San Francisco, want to use this when I'm riding to prove fault in case I get in an accident, so it'll be used about 30-60 mins a day, rain or shine. I'll be using the Bell Bullitt helmet: http://ift.tt/2mq51pi this all sound good? Any roadblocks I may hit that I'm not seeing? via /r/DIY http://ift.tt/2llo6Eh

Click to comment